Strategies for a more fulfilling relationship
Couple Counselling is Effective
Couple counselling can be a very effective way to help you identify where the relationship has gone wrong. It will also help to assess whether or not you are able to heal the relationship.
As rescuing a relationship in crisis is a great challenge for couples, it needs commitment from both partners to work through difficulties and take responsibility for their own contribution. This is not always easy, as most people tend to blame their partner and overlook their own contribution to the conflict.
Where Relationship Counselling can help
Counselling provides you with the communication skills to build a stronger bond. Most couples come when their connection is in trouble and they want to repair it. Troubles may include recovery from an affair, or dealing with sexual difficulties.
By contrast, other couples come to rekindle the flame when too much routine has made them take each other for granted.
Additionally, some people seek help to individually work through doubts about the relationship in order to come to a decision whether to stay or to leave. Others have recognized that their behaviour causes problems for their partner and seek help to change these behaviours.
The main therapeutic model we use is Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFT).
Note: While the vast majority of couples we see are heterosexual we are happy to see same sex couples.
- Overcoming conflict
- Improving communication
- Recovery from an affair
- Understanding gender differences
- Sexual difficulties
- Dealing with violence and / or abuse
- Rebuilding after divorce / separation
- Blended family problems
- Spiritual issues affecting the relationship
- Containing the impact of past sexual abuse and other traumas
Benefits of relationship counselling for couples:
- Communicate more effectively
- Set ground rules for conflict resolution
- Learn what makes marriages work (or fail)
- Understand each other better
- Express your feelings to your partner
- Feel safe in the relationship
- Get more of your needs met
Benefits of counselling for individuals on relationship issues:
- Make sense of why your partner does what s/he does
- Improve communication with your partner
- Decide whether to stay or to leave
- Process the grief of separation and finding ways to move on
- Effective parenting after separation